- 1 Preparing for a Newborn? Baby Essentials Checklist for every Parent
Preparing for a Newborn? Baby Essentials Checklist for every Parent
In a few weeks, a very small baby will come to share your daily life. Even if it is said that a baby only needs your love, you will still need to make sure you have a few extra items to fill all those big and small needs.
You do not need to spend too much. There is certainly a friend or the friend of a friend … Who has boxes of small clothes, blankets just waiting to have a second life. The same is often the case for furniture: the baby bed, the changing table, etc. So, before you go shopping, find out where you are and look at second-hand sales sites.
1. But concretely, what do you need?
Do not put too much pressure on yourself, especially for the first few weeks of your baby’s life.
- Little camisoles onesie: depending on the season, you can dress it as this simple camisole, or she will be under her pajamas for comfort. Count 7-8. You will see how you can use several in a short time … Infants often make many overflows of diapers!
- Pajamas: Newborns often spend their first months of life in their pajamas. If they are comfortable as well, why try to put on pants or a dress? Make sure you have several (7-8) and different sizes: newborn, 1 month, 3 months. Many babies change quickly from one size to another. Hence, the importance of having second hand clothes. Some pajamas will only be worn for a week! Also, check if they attach and detach easily for diaper changes.
- Very small covers: often sold in packs of 3 or 4 (your sister or friend probably has dozens!), These blankets are used to swaddle your baby, you will put more than one, but also to cover it slightly if it is hot outside, but the wind is at the rendezvous. You can put one on your shoulder during burps, so you will not have to change your sweater every time your little one regurgitates a bit. These covers can also cover you when you are breastfeeding in public or in front of your visit! Because they are thin and light, they do not harm baby!
- Wipes and washcloths: they will become your best friends. You need it everywhere and much: for diaper changes, dirty little hands, baby’s mouth after a drink or if it regurgitates.
2. For bath time and other treatments
Ah! The bath time, total relaxation for some, moment of panic for others! You never really know what to expect, each baby is a real surprise box. But in general, you will need to provide:
Care products adapted to baby’s fragile skin: shampoo, mild soap, body milk.
- Cotton swabs (for navel care).
- Soft towels with a hood.
- Soft washcloths so as not to irritate the skin of the newborn.
- A thermometer to take the temperature of the baby.
- A pear to suck secretions.
- Physiological saline (for the hygiene of the baby’s nose, eyes and ears).
- Zinc oxide cream to relieve small buttocks irritated.
A plastic bathtub?
Maybe yes, maybe not. Some babies have a horror of this small bath and prefer to find themselves at the bottom of a large bath, in a little warm water, well lying on a towel or a rubber mat that prevents them from slipping.
3. For the time for sleeping
Will baby sleep in your room or in his? In a cradle (bassinet), a crib? In all cases, you will need to get:
- A bed adapted and meets safety standards (berth, bassinet, cradle, etc.).
- 3-4 fitted sheets adapted to the bed of your choice.
- Some sleeping bags or surpyjamas.
- Some fine blankets if you choose to swaddle baby.
- A listening device to audio baby monitor for the baby’s sleep and waking if he is not in your room.
4. For the outings
A diaper bag: inevitable. Moreover, the sooner it will be well stocked, the faster you will be out of the house! You will of course put on diapers and wipes, but also spare pajamas (or 2), a little rattle to make baby wait, an extra blanket, a hat, etc.
A stroller: choose it well, it will be part of your daily life. There are many models to meet the needs of all. Take the time to carefully consider yours before making this purchase.
A ventral baby carrier or a slinge, according to your preferences: if you like to walk or do all kinds of activities without being burdened with a stroller, the baby carrier is a must. Even at home, it can be convenient for small babies who still want to be stuck on mom or dad. Again, depending on your needs, you will choose a baby carrier or a carrier sling.
A coat adapted to the season and a hat: choose it according to the comfort of baby and according to your lifestyle. Some coats are perfect for car seats, but can not be used in a baby carrier. Your baby will need a hat in his first days of life to keep warm. After that, it will depend on the season. Remember to protect your fragile ears.
A car seat: a must! Make sure it meets safety standards and your baby is properly attached.
A bed-park: if you’re used to sleeping elsewhere, these portable beds will be of great use.
5. Furniture and accessories
Baby crib and mobile: As mentioned earlier, your wonder will need a bed of its own. It is essential that it meets the safety standards issued by Health Canada. A mobile, although not mandatory, sometimes helps baby to wait a few seconds!
Highchair: Of course, you will not need it during the first months, but you will see how time flies! Some babies start eating around the age of 4 or 5 months. Sometimes, even if they only drink milk, they enjoy being at the table at the same time as Mom and Dad.
A litter bin: obviously, any one can do the job. But if possible, you will have one that closes hermetically to avoid odors. You will see, the first weeks, there are so many diaper changes that sometimes, we lack of time to take them outside.
6. Breastfeeding or bottle?
Before your baby is in your arms, it is difficult to predict whether you will breastfeed or not. Often, it is a wish, but various elements can interfere in your decision. Both contingencies need to be planned without making too many purchases before the baby arrives.
Bibs: it does not matter the mode of feeding, you will need several! (5-6) You do not want to change the baby every time you drink, either because you drink too fast and the milk comes out of your mouth during that time, or because it regurgitates when you burp.
A nursing apron: it allows you to cover when you are breastfeeding baby. Small thin covers can also do the job, but they are less stable.
A breast pump, bottles and bags to freeze breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, there will be a time when you will be away for a few hours.
- A bottle warmer.
- Milk powder adapted to the age of the baby.
- Several baby bottles, and teats adapted to the age of the baby.
- A bottle sterilizer (optional, but practical if you use a lot of bottles).
7. For the awakening …
Your newborn will spend a lot of time sleeping and eating, but the weeks go by quickly … You may already consider buying the following items:
- An awakening mat.
- Bath toys.
No need to spend a fortune. Your baby does not need much, he especially needs you! But sometimes, a different sound will attract his attention, avoid some crying and facilitate, among other things, the bath time, diaper changes or the moment you put it in his car seat!
The list is long new things to get. Indeed, the arrival of a newborn completely transforms our home and our habits. Many will say that all that is expensive! And they are not necessarily wrong. You can get lost in spending to infinity. However, keep in mind that there is always someone in your entourage who ends his “baby” phase, because this period is only temporary! It’s hard to believe at first, but yes, it goes, and incredibly fast indeed!
So, do not hesitate to accept what your friends and family have to offer or buy used equipment. Of course, under no circumstances, skimp on safety. You must be particularly vigilant when it comes to the crib and car seat. But for clothes and toys, the whole thing will probably fit.
Of course, you can indulge yourself, buying a little fashionable set, or the latest gadget, but do not forget that your baby only needs the essentials!